Tags

,

Next stop on our house tour is our living room.  The previous owners used it as an office with floor to ceiling bookcases.  I have bookcase problem.  They either sit empty or I pile things on them in no organized fashion to hold junk.  I spent all summer have a bookcase intervention in my house and things have finally started to turn around here.  But three years ago, I was still knee deep in my bookcase problem and I knew I would never appropriately fill the bookshelves, so they needed a new home.

Before:

After:

This color is way out of my box.  I had seen it and thought “mmmm, that’s yummy,” but never envisioned it in my house.  Then I fell in love with the curtain pattern (below) when shopping for kitchen fabric.  When I saw they had it in the wine color, I remember the paint chip I picked up and it all came together.

Paint – Accent wall: Olympic Chilled Wine (warning…it took about 5 coats and the first 3 looked like we had killed Barney.  It was hideous)
Paint – Other walls: I can’t find the can.  Whoops.
Rug: West Elm Jute Boucle Rug in Clay
Sofa: Crate & Barrel
GliderDIY (here)
Painting: Richmond’s Annual “Starving Artist” Sale

The pictures above the sofa are special places in the life of Hubs and/or me.

They include Smith Mountain Lake, Samford University (the pendulum in the physics department and Mr. Beeson), Virginia Tech, and our church.

So….the bookcases still need some staging help, but they are much improved over how they looked when I first finished the photo wall (here).
The room leads into the foyer whose rug coordinates nicely with the accent wall and back of the bookshelves.

If you look carefully, you can tell that the bookshelves are modified from the full wall bookshelves in the before picture.  We cut them in half, sanded, restained, and made a top for them.

The tile for the top came from The Tile Store.  It was an economical alternative to the marble I really wanted at the time.  In hind sight, I love the black tile and grout so much more.  It is subtle.
There is a plywood top cut to the size of the bookcases, then that was tiled, then trimmed out, and finally grouted.

Staining the bookshelves black was a process to say the least.  We started with Minwax Ebony but it was anemic in color at best.  After much reading, I learned that to get a good black stain you need a pigment dye which we found at a local woodworking specialty shop.

 

Curtain fabric: Thomas Paul

So there is my sassy living room.  Bradley and I daily spent time at the piano singing together.  I makes me oh, so happy.

Advertisements